Winter getaways in Ontario call for a cozy room! Upgrading to a suite filled with all the comforts of home allows you to linger a little longer in the mornings and evenings. This two-day itinerary is built around luxurious suite stays and sprinkled with plenty of fun ways to spend a winter day.
Day 1 Afternoon
Kick off your getaway in the friendly county of Chatham-Kent with some scheduled self-care time.
- A care-free float in one of Floating Therapy’s therapeutic saltwater tanks offers a wide range of benefits, including stress reduction, pain management, increased immune function, improved sleep and more.
- Maison Grand Wellness Day Spa’s talented staff provides a variety of spa treatments, including manicures, pedicures, facials, and massages.
After your treatment, swing by Mindful on Talbot to pick up some treats for your suite. This gourmet specialty food shop specializes in local and regional products that are better for the body and our planet. Homegrown Health and Wellness is another excellent option, particularly if you’re looking for gluten-free or dairy-free snacks.
Next, get settled into your suite:
- The Flicker Suite at Bye The Bay Bed and Breakfast is a gorgeous room in a beautiful log home.
- Bentpath Getaway is a vacation rental that can sleep up to six guests and has a variety of supports available to assist those with limited mobility, including a wheelchair lift on the deck, an elevator to the lower-level entertainment area and a roll-in shower.
- Holiday Inn Express and Suites Chatham South offers guests an indoor pool and fitness centre.
- Willow Barrel Retreat has newly renovated suites available all year long in picturesque Erieau.
- Retro Suites boasts 45 individually themed guest suites that are thoughtfully designed down to every last finish and detail.
Day 1 Evening
If you can tear yourself away from your cozy suite, head back out on the town to enjoy a happy hour drink.
- The Garden On King has a fabulous cocktail lounge that serves creative concoctions in the winter months.
- Turns and Tails invites customers to sip on local beers, wines and seasonal cocktails while browsing the onsite bookstore or enjoying a board game. They are also Rainbow Registered, which means that they are a nationally accredited 2SLGBTQIA+ friendly business or organization. Click here to learn more.
Next, move on to dinner at one of many excellent options.
- Chilled Cork is housed inside the Retro Suites.
- Centro Chatham gives everything delicious the wood-fired treatment, including pizzas, brussels sprouts, wings and more.
- Casa Bella has a tasty selection of seafood and pasta dishes.
If you aren’t quite ready to call it a night after dinner, catch a show at Chatham’s historic Capitol Theatre. Originally a bustling 1930s movie theatre, the building still boasts historical grandeur, with art deco detailing, gilded décor, opera boxes and an ornate ceiling. In addition to an ever-changing selection of films, this winter’s lineup features an impressive roster of performers like Serena Ryder, Big Sugar, Choir! Choir! Choir! and more. The Mary Webb Centre For The Arts, just outside of Chatham, also hosts live music performances regularly.
Day 2 Morning
After a leisurely start to your day enjoying the comforts of your suite, do a little touring along the trail of your choice.
- If you have a sweet tooth, follow your appetite along the Chatham Bakery Trail.
- If you’re keen to try the area’s local craft beers and wines, the Corks and Kegs Trail promises tasty stops at Bayside Brewing Co., Sons of Kent Brewing Co., Red Barn Brewing Co., Glasstown Brewing Company, and Early Acres Estate Winery.
- If you prefer your trails to be snow-covered, bring along your cross-country skis, snowshoes or fat bike and spend a few hours exploring Chatham-Kent’s many pathways and parks.
Day 2 Afternoon
Leave some time for a little bit of shopping and a lazy lunch before you make your way to your next suite. Stop in and say hello at friendly local shops like Glasshouse Nursery, Birdies Nest and Gentry Manor. Then, tuck into an assortment of Antipasti at Mamma Maria’s or a sensational salad at Churrascaria.
Then, set out on a scenic drive to the Sarnia Lambton area, where an abundance of swanky suites awaits, including:
- Jacuzzi and Fireplace Suites at Oakwood Resort in Grand Bend.
- Point Perfect Nook’s beautifully appointed two-bedroom guesthouse.
- Carefully curated suites at Sarnia’s Insignia Hotel, which include premium perks like cozy Frette robes, L’Occitane bath products and Nespresso machines.
- Luxury suites at Colonial Hotel, Grand Bend’s newly built boutique-style hotel.
Day 2 Evening
After a busy day, there’s a good chance you’ll be craving a quick dinner that allows you plenty of time to get back to enjoy your suite. A delicious burger or some tasty tacos are excellent options, and you’ll find mouth-watering choices at Burger Rebellion, Match Public House and Eatery, Los Puntos Cantina, and Mexico.
Making a reservation at Waggs Steak & Seafood Restaurant is highly recommended by locals for their amazing food and gracious hospitality!
Day 3 Morning
Brunch is the perfect meal if you’d like some extra time for sleeping in. For farm-to-table fare, Local in Plympton-Wyoming begins serving their lunch menu at 11 am. Or, cook up brunch in your suite and then sneak in a second caffeine hit with a Flat White from Blackwater Coffee Co.
Day 3 Afternoon
The afternoon is yours to enjoy an activity that you adore. Some of our favourite ideas for winter fun include:
- When the weather permits, outdoor ice skating can often be enjoyed at Bridgeview Park in Petrolia, Canatara Park in Sarnia, The Pinery and Oakwood Resort in Grand Bend, or Dark Horse Estate Winery.
- Fat-tire biking, cross-country skiing or hiking at The Pinery in Grand Bend, Sarnia’s Waterfront and Blackwell Trails, or the St. Clair River Trail.
- Sipping on local beers, wines and ciders as you explore the Cheers To The Coast Trail.
Looking for even more new and exciting things to see, do, taste, and experience in Ontario's Southwest? Browse our collection of experiences and itineraries that have been specially curated for those who are endlessly curious and love to learn about the hidden gems others may overlook.