With busy work, school, sports and social schedules, finding time to relax and have fun together as a family can be a challenge. One of the easiest ways to reignite your family’s sense of play is to break away from home routines for a few days. A quick cruise on Highway 401 to London is all it takes to find a change of scenery filled with activities that kids and parents will adore. Follow these three simple steps to plan your next getaway.
Step #1: Pick A Perfect Portfolio of Play
Chances are, different family members have different interests. Keep everyone happy by planning an assortment of activities for two mornings and two afternoons that will complement various interests. Here are some tried and true options for family fun in the London area.
Adventure seekers will adore spending a few hours at 100 Kellogg Lane. This former cereal factory has been converted into Canada’s largest indoor family entertainment centre. With a 170,000-square-foot indoor ropes course, zip lines, a trampoline course, ultimate warrior course, virtual reality zone, massive arcade, and escape rooms, every member of the family will find something they can’t wait to do here!
With glow-in-the-dark mini golf, a 5-level children's soft play centre, 10 & 5 pin bowling, an arcade games room, and more, Fleetway is a top fun destination for families in London.
Fanshawe Pioneer Village is a living history museum where costumed interpreters bring history to life in a fascinating collection of 19th-century homes and buildings.
A visit to the Museum of Ontario Archaeology will take you back in time as you explore a 500-year-old village with a reconstructed longhouse and the museum’s collection of southwestern Ontario’s archaeological discoveries.
Banting House National Historic Site celebrates one of the most important Canadian medical discoveries of the twentieth century and the life and career of Sir Frederick Grant Banting.
The London Children’s Museum’s excellent hands-on exhibits and engaging learning experiences encourage visitors to explore history and heritage, as well as science, society, art, and culture.
Fresh Air Fans
For kids and kids-at-heart who are happiest outside, a visit to Storybook Gardens is a must. In the winter months, families can enjoy the skating trail that runs throughout the park with decorations for the holidays! The skating trail is schedules to open on December 3rd.
For fresh air fans who enjoy a healthy side of adventure, head to Boler Mountain. During the snowy months, you can visit the Tube Park with its 3 tube runs that are 10 stories high where you can reach speeds of 70 km/hr! Or you can head up the hills for skiing and snowboarding - and yes rentals are available.
Step #2: Make Mealtime Fun
The right dining experience can remind your family that mealtime doesn’t have to feel like a bore or a chore! London’s red-hot restaurant scene makes it easy to find a place that will leave everyone at the table with a smile on their face. Excellent meal choices for families looking for food and fun include:
- A luxurious golf simulator suite at The Club House Bar & Lounge
- Canadian-inspired cuisine at The Rec Room’s Three10 Restaurant
- Amazing pizzas and pub fare with a side of 10-pin bowling or billiards at Palasad Social Bowl
- A dessert of chocolate fondue and crepes at Forrat’s Chocolates Lounge
- Breakfast at The Early Bird
- Family-style modern Mexican for lunch at Los Lobos
- A meal overlooking the excitement of an international airport runway at Katana Kafé and Grill
- A build your own burger experience that’s earned You Gotta Eat Here’s stamp of approval at The Bungalow Neighbourhood Hub
Step #3: Up Your Hotel Room’s Play Potential
Prevent kids from defaulting to their devices in the hotel room by choosing a place to stay for a few nights that has amenities or proximity to engaging activities to keep your family playing right up until bedtime. London is home to many excellent family-friendly hotel options:
- The Lamplighter Inn and Conference Centre’s massive pool, waterslide and tropical-feeling atrium offer the perfect place to keep family fun going.
- Staying in an old armoury makes for some pretty cool exploring at the Delta London Armouries! Be sure to request a room in the original section of the armoury!
- Homewood Suites by Hilton London is a perfect home base for visiting the city or enjoying some family shopping time at White Oaks Mall. It also has an indoor pool for end-of-day splashing!