Is your family in need of a few days away to bust through the winter weekend blahs? Instead of fighting winter crowds in Ontario’s busy ski resort towns, take advantage of one of the best-kept secrets around when it comes to family-friendly getaway destinations that offer plenty of frosty fun. Here are just five of the reasons active families love London for a quick winter getaway.
London Winter Win: You Can Hit The Slopes Here Too
With four lifts, 15 trails, a terrain park, snow and ski board lessons and a ten-story-high snow tube park, Boler Mountain will give any skier a run for their money! Ditch the long lift lines at the busy slopes and get in more runs on this hill that’s been delighting local skiers since 1946.
If your family prefers cross-country skiing, snowshoeing or winter hiking, there are excellent options in the area for these snowy pursuits as well, including the Thames Valley Parkway and Medway Valley Heritage Forest.
London Winter Win: A Heaping Helping Of Activities
London sparkles its way through the winter with outdoor events, concerts, and more, including:
- Winter Walks at Fanshawe Pioneer Village (February 6 - March 15)
- Yesterday's Tomorrow (February 10) - a contemporary circus performance.
- Mini Pop Kids at Centennial Hall (February 11)
- Disney On Ice presents Into The Magic at Budweiser Gardens (February 22 - 25)
- Shows at the Grand Theatre such as:
London Winter Win: The Fun Continues All Winter Long
While some communities shift into low gear during the winter, that’s certainly not the case in London. London keeps the fun factor going strong all winter long with family-friendly activities like:
- Outdoor skating rinks and trails at Victoria Park, Covent Garden Market and Storybook Gardens
- Sugarbush tours and activities at McLachlan Family Maple Syrup and Kinsmen Fanshawe Sugar Bush
- London Knights hockey games at Budweiser Gardens
- 100 Kellogg Lane, a former cereal factory that’s been converted into Canada’s largest indoor family entertainment centre, complete with a 170,000-square-foot indoor ropes course, zip lines, a trampoline course, ultimate warrior course, virtual reality zone, massive arcade, and escape rooms.
London Winter Win: Family-Friendly Dining Is Always On The Menu
Whether it’s a leisurely brunch, a tasty afternoon snack break to warm up after some time on the slopes, or a dinner with a side of friendly family competition, London’s food scene serves up an excellent mixture of restaurants that both kids and parents will adore. Plan a meal at these can’t-miss restaurants for families:
- The Clubhouse at The Factory is a state-of-the-art, indoor sport, dining and lounge experience where your family can enjoy a meal while challenging each other on golf and multi-sport simulators or at Bocce ball, shuffleboard and more.
- The Rec Room is another excellent choice for families who like to play together. After a few rounds of ping pong, axe throwing, pool, and classic arcade games, dig into one of their delicious platters of appetizers.
- Palasad South is the place to be for a super fun bowling experience paired with wood oven pizza and award-winning buttermilk chicken sandwiches
- Toboggan Brewing has tasty barbecue and street tacos that the kids will adore while the adults at the table sip their way through a flight of craft beer.
- Winks Eatery and The Early Bird are both great choices to kick off the day with a hearty breakfast or brunch.
- If your crew is craving a sweet treat after a ski or skate, you can’t go wrong with a custom doughnut from My Happiness or the chocolate fondue at Forrat’s Chocolate Lounge.
- Even the pickiest of palates at the table will find something they like at The Bungalow Neighbourhood Hub. The kid’s menu here offers all the classics like grilled cheese, buttered noodles, and chicken bites.
- Los Lobos has a massive nacho plate, another excellent choice for a late afternoon fuel-up.
- Those with a sweet tooth will love Downtown London's curated Scratch Bakery and Patisserie Trail which includes the best-in-class, small-batch, scratch bakeries and patisseries.
London Winter Win: Amazing Places To Stay Are Always Part Of The Adventure
London’s diverse blend of accommodation options means that the fun doesn’t have to stop at check-in. Whether it’s a stay in a historic armoury, a hotel with a massive waterslide and pool, or a super-sized suite where everyone has lots of space to unwind after a busy day, it’s easy to find a place that will please your whole crew. Some of London’s family-friendly favourites include:
- Best Western Plus Lamplighter
- Residence Inn by Marriott London Downtown
- Delta Hotels by Marriott London Armouries
- Hampton Inn By Hilton London
- Allure Hotel and Suites
- The Park Hotel London
Looking for even more memory-making experiences for your family to connect? Browse our collection of experiences and itineraries that have been optimized for maximum fun and will set the stage for you to learn, play, and explore as a family.