Fall is such an ideal time to get out and explore Ontario’s harvest happenings, but where is the best destination? This two-day itinerary offers a beautiful blend of Norfolk and Haldimand counties in all their autumn glory.
Evening Day #1
What better place for an autumn adventure than a place home to crops so bountiful it is known as Ontario’s Garden? Only approximately 150 km from Toronto and less than 100 km from Hamilton, it’s easy to get to Norfolk County to enjoy a leisurely dinner before settling into your overnight accommodation.
Start off your getaway with a meal of beautiful blends. Delicious local duos include:
- Tacos and tequila at The Mule in Port Dover
- Lake Erie Pickerel with a crisp glass of Smoke & Gamble Chardonnay at David’s in Port Dover
- Wonton nachos with an icy cold bottle of New Limburg Belgium Blonde at 211 Main in Port Dover
- A Farm Market Dinner at Cider Keg Market, which pairs local wines, beers and ciders with delicious local dishes on select nights through October
After dinner, take a stroll down the Port Dover Pier before calling it a night at one of these excellent options:
- A suite at Clonmel Castle, a recently restored historic mansion with a story that includes intriguing inheritance rules, Irish pirates, bank moguls, mysterious treasure troves, and the burning of the White House
- Burning Kiln Winery’s beautiful vineyard farmhouse
- A wilderness suite or glamping pod at Long Point Eco Adventures
- The Prinn, a four-room inn overflowing with boutique charm
- A luxury tent at Homegrown Hideaway. Click here to learn more about their Wildcraft Tea experience where you'll get curious and explore the unique landscapes of Homegrown Hideaway and find wild plants that make delicious and beneficial herbal teas.
Morning Day #2
Fuel up for a busy day of exploring with a Dover Fog and a delicious cookie from Port Dover’s Urban Parisian or a sensational smoothie from Ivory Fern Foods.
Then, choose a morning activity that suits your speed:
- If you prefer a slow start to the day, unwind for a few hours at Elements Day Spa.
- If you’d rather start your morning with a rush, take a trip on the zip at Long Point Eco Adventures for a tree-top view of the colourful Carolinian forest.
Afternoon Day #2
For your afternoon blend, combine sipping and snacking to get a taste for the many outstanding wineries, cideries and craft breweries in the area. Tasty combinations include:
- Bar snacks like Bavarian pretzels and gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches paired with a sensational selection of sustainably crafted brews at Charlotteville Brewing Company
- Sweet treats like butter tarts and the pie of the day paired with the amazing ales at Meuse Brewing
- One of Ride The Bine’s guided winery/brewery/cidery tours with the optional lunch addition
- A DIY tasting tour along the Toast The Coast Trail with the selection of sipping and snacking stops of your choice
Evening Day #2
As you wrap up your afternoon of touring, head toward Haldimand County. Kilometers of Grand River and Lake Erie shorelines make for incredible autumn cruising as the sun sets. For your second evening’s accommodation, The Reeve Bed and Breakfast, My Lighthouse Cottages, and Broecheler Inn are all excellent options.
Once you’ve settled in, find your way to a delicious dinner of country comfort food, like
Twisted Lemon Restaurant’s Chicken and Waffles, Fisherville Hotel and Tavern’s Yorkshire Beef Bowl, or bacon-wrapped meatloaf at Debb’s Cuisine on Queen. If you’re visiting in September, blend your dinner with the ultimate country view. Purple Haven Lavender’s Sunset Dinner Tour provides guests with a private table surrounded by lavender, complete with a candlelight dinner and private bonfire, and watch the sun set over the farm fields.
The last day of your getaway is all yours to create a signature blend of activities that speak to your passions.
- If you’re feeling chill, stretch things out with a yoga class at Art Rocks & Healing Yoga, Zen Country Wellness, or Y Not Unwind Studio, followed by a gentle stroll along the Cayuga Grand Vista Trail or a hike at Rock Point Provincial Park.
- If you prefer activities that get your adrenalin pumping, Toronto Motorsports Park in Cayuga offers an Exotic Dream Car Experience that allows you to get behind the wheel of a Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche or Nissan GT-R on the 1.8-km race circuit. Escape In Caledonia, with its four unique escape room challenges, is another fun way for adventure seekers to spend a few hours.
- If craft beer is your calling, designate a driver and find your way to fabulous flights at Concession Road Brewing and Oranje Son Brewing.
Looking for even more unique ways to escape the city for an autumn getaway? Browse our collection of experiences and itineraries that have been specially crafted for adventurous souls craving the kind of connection that can only be found off the beaten path.